26th October 2013
David Teasdale, on behalf of the Board and the Executive, chaired British Fencing’s Annual General Meeting 2013. The meeting took place on Saturday 26th October at the headquarters of the British Olympic Association, London.
Ray Stafford opened the meeting with a fitting tribute to Matthew Thompson who recently passed away. The meeting continued following the agenda points published, a summary of which follows.
- Members approved the minutes of the last AGM and the GM in May
- Dame Mary Glen-Haig was recognised as Honorary Life President
- John Troiano presented a thorough insight into the company accounts covering the deficit, reserves, measures taken to improve the situation and approval of the accounts. He also paid tribute to Peter King and the new auditors for being able to produce the accounts in such a timely fashion
- Hilary Philbin was confirmed as President, with a key international role
- Alp Orge presented new independent Director, Janet Campbell. The appointment was confirmed by the membership
- Beth Davidson presented details of the highly successful development plan in the North East Region which was recently awarded the Prime Minister’s Big Society award. She advocated the benefits of using the GO/FENCE programme to increase participation
- Alex Newton presented Head Coach, Andrey Klyushin who spoke of his plans for developing talent. She also formally thanked Ziemek Wojciechowski for his outstanding work with Britain’s leading foilists.
A lively open forum followed the formal meeting.
A full set of minutes will be produced and published in due course.