Over the past 6 months, BF has been conducting insight work with international fencers who have recently left the Juniors age group. The purpose of this work was to determine what this demographic felt it needed in order to keep fencing at international level and push towards fencing at senior level.
Two trends came out of this work:
1. A feeling of a loss of focus or direction upon leaving Juniors, with no clear goal or championship to aim for
2. The jump from Junior to Senior international feeling very difficult to bridge
To address both of these points, BF is proposing changes to the U23 European Championships selection policy, stating the intention to send full teams to this event where possible.
The proposed changes to the principles of selection are intended to incentivise participation in the European U23 Circuit competitions, to serve as a bridging point from Junior International to Senior International, and as a stepping stone for all fencers in the U23 age group seeking a greater competitive challenge.
The key changes to the principles for selection are summarised below –
5.1 PRINCIPLES FOR SELECTION
1. Three places will be available for athletes ranked within the top 30 of the EFC U23 ranking at the time of selection. If there are more than three fencers ranked in the top 30 of the EFC U23 rankings, the highest three fencers will be selected
2. In the event that three fencers cannot be selected per point 1, then the top 3 U23 fencers with FIE points contributing to their total at the cut off date, and ranked within the top 20 of the British Senior Ranking (once non-GBR athletes have been removed), will be eligible for selection. Selection will be in ranking order.
3. If three fencers cannot be selected per points 1 and 2, discretionary places can be allocated, taking into account past performances at –
4. A fourth place and a reserve may also be allocated by the selectors, taking into account the same criteria as outlined in point
5. The selection cut-off date for the U23 European Championships will be 1st March 2020.
Please note that standard GBR eligibility criteria (eg Nationality, participation in U23 National Championships) apply. For more information please see the full policy here – GBR U23 Euros Selection Policy 2019-20 – DRAFT FOR CONSULTATION.
All comments to be received back via email to [email protected] by 20th September 2019 with the subject U23 Selection Consultation.
The 2020 U23 European Championships will be held in Liberec (CZE) from 27th to 31st May, 2020.
Sign up to receive regular highlights from the exciting world of fencing - celebrating the best of our unique and inspiring community