British Fencing is discussing with BUCS the mechanism to agree the selection criteria for the 2019 World University Games.
There will be eligibility criteria which are not expected to be dissimilar to previous selection WUGS policies which combine the usual BF eligibility criteria and the BUCS/WUGS eligibity criteria.
BF has drafted the Fencing Performance Criteria that we propose to submit to BUCS for discussion. Therefore at this time we are making this available to the community for comment in advance of these discussions.
All comments must be received by 26th September 2018.
Fencing Performance Criteria
To qualify for consideration for selection Athletes must have achieved either:
(1) A L64 in an FIE Senior World Cup or Grand Prix Individual Event between 1st September 2018 and 13th April 2019 or a L64 at the Senior European or World Championships 2018; OR
(2) A L8 place in a Junior World Cup Individual Event, Junior World Championships or Junior European Championships between 1st September 2018 and 13th April 2019; OR
(3) A L8 place as part of a Team competing in an FIE Senior World Cup Team Event between 1st September 2018 and 13th April 2019 or at the Senior European or World Championships 2018; OR
(4) A Medal in the Team event at the Junior World or European Championships between 1st September 2018 and 13th April 2019.
(5) In addition, British Fencing may select fencers from its Athlete Development Programme as part of their development towards 2020 and 2024.
Codicils to the above Fencing Performance Criteria are:
A. Qualification via criteria (1) and (2) are on the proviso that these results have led to the athlete finishing at least in the top half of the entered field;
B. Qualification via criteria (3) is on the proviso that the team won through at least one direct elimination round.
C. Qualification via criteria (3) and (4) is only applicable to the qualification of a team to compete in the WUG – it cannot be used to qualify an individual where no team is fencing; and
D. Fencers selected under (5) will only be selected to fill vacancies not taken by fencers qualified under (1) to (4) above (i.e. no fencer qualified under (1) to (4) above will be displaced by a fencer selected under (5)).
E. British Fencing reserves the right to downgrade an event which is not deemed to be of a sufficiently high standard for the purposes of qualification.
Any athlete who has not met the performance criteria stated for automatic qualification shall have no right of appeal against non-selection.
The selection date will be after 13th April 2019 – to be confirmed with BUCS
Sign up to receive regular highlights from the exciting world of fencing - celebrating the best of our unique and inspiring community