2021-22 GBR SELECTION POLICY UPDATED AFTER CONSULTATION
The draft 2021-2022 GBR selection policies have been updated following community consultation which included discussion events to provide feedback to the community. The updated document will be presented to the BF Board for approval.
The 2021-2022 GBR Selection Policy cover all age groups, U17s, U20s, U23s and Seniors.
The consultation period for the 2021-2022 selection policies ran from from 30th June – Monday 12th July. Members were able to respond to the consultation by submitting questions and comments using an online form and further opportunities for feedback was provided through community discussion events. The Senior Athlete Panel received an advance copy and was also invited to submit feedback directly to senior leadership on behalf of athletes.
The updated document will be sent to Board for approval
GBR Selection Policy v0.8 Post Consultation Unapproved
We are extremely grateful to all those who took the time to read the document in detail and provide feedback.
Key Adjustments (Reminder)
- Consolidated multiple selection documents into a single document for all age categories.
- Standardised automatic qualification standards to fence for GBR at Major Championships for all ages, where applicable.
- Reflected the proposed changes set out in the new Ranking Scheme proposals for 2021-22 (e.g., Under 23 Ranking Scheme and recognition of EFC Under 23 events)
- Added clauses allowing greater flexibility for the impact of Covid19 to events and athletes.
Specific Items arising from Consultation
- Point of clarification – Item 87 continues the principle that Juniors have to be a minimum age for International Selection and item 88 describes the exceptions. (Maximum ages are covered in the definitions and set by the FIE)
- Point of clarification – Item 56 b) sets out a 5% final placing percentage at one nominated competition as a qualification standard. This is intended to provide an equivalence to the medal winning performance standard in 56 a) for those weapons that have significantly larger numbers of competitors. Item 56 c) provides the qualification standards across more than one competition.
- With the possibility that more athletes will achieve the qualification standards for Euros and Worlds at Senior level there was a concern raised that the policy provided no discretion to select athletes with recent previous Senior world class form if they failed to make qualification standards due to illness/injury or pregnancy and the potential consequences on the Olympic cycle. This was addressed in a change to item 59.
- Additional feedback was received about other, partly related matters such as rankings and BRCs. For example there was a common misunderstanding that repeatedly arose around BRC formats and this is addressed in the summary news post here. Where appropriate, feedback not relating to the contents of the selection policy has been passed onto the relevant areas of BF.
Disclaimer – This news post is not the Selection Document and is not intended as a replacement for that document. Athletes who wish to represent Great Britain, along with their coaches and parents are expected to read the Selection Document rather than rely on summaries and news post contents. No selection appeals will be permitted on the basis of the contents/interpretation of this news post.
If you have any questions relating to this post, please submit them to us via the form here and a member of the ADP team will come back to you.