De Montfort University, Leicester requires a fencing coach. DMUsport Coaches will deliver expert tuition to the university’s student clubs, and support the activity of the club supporting the delivery of the DMUsport player pathway.
They will develop working relationships with internal and external partners, to the benefit of the club, student members and the university as a whole.
Please note that pay rates are non-negotiable for the 2020-21 academic year, and session delivery requirements may vary depending on student engagement due to Covid-19, which will be discussed with you directly by the hiring manager at interview.
Duties and responsibilities
• Responsible for providing expert tuition to the university’s student club, to ensure improvement in participation numbers and support the growth of depth in club competitive activity by supporting students in improving their performance.
• To provide practical day-to-day coaching, as well as devising and implementing long and short-term strategies and development plans.
• Promote sport at DMU, both to current and prospective students, as well as the public.
• Attend fixtures/matches, as well as training sessions.
• To analyse and report on the club’s performance.
• Ensure health and safety policies and best practice are adhered to.
• Be aware of and promote student support services to members as well as engaging in opportunities for CPD relating to student welfare.
• Build and maintain strong relationships with relevant colleagues, including DSU staff and sports clubs, and staff responsible for university leisure facilities.
• Make efforts to attend training sessions, meetings and events as required, sometimes outside of core hours.
• Support other projects to meet the objectives of the department.
• Treat all DMU staff, students, contractors and visitors with dignity and respect. Provide a service that complies with the Equality Act 2010, eliminating unlawful discrimination, advancing equality of opportunity and fostering good relations with particular attention to the protected characteristics of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief (or none), sex and sexual orientation.
Skills and experience
Qualifications and Training
– Level 2 (or equivalent) qualified, working towards Level 2 (or equivalent) qualification or relevant experience
– Level 3 (or equivalent) qualified and/ or other coaching qualifications
First aid trained
Experience of coaching relevant sport, at an intermediate level
Experience of developing athletes and long-term athlete development plans
Experience of developing relevant sport programme
Experience of working as part of an inter-discipline performance enhancement team
Experience of working in Higher Education
Skills and Abilities
In-depth understanding of coaching styles and practical delivery
An understanding of Long-Term Athlete Development and structure of student sport (in particular in higher education)
A sound understanding of student sport
Ability to manage people and programme and to ensure delivery against objectives
Ability to work independently on own initiative and as part of a team
Ability to write reports or assessments etc and contribute to meetings as required.
Able to work outside of normal core hours
Commitment to observing the University’s Equal Opportunities policy
Please note this job information is provided to BF from an external source and all enquiries should be sent to the provider. For more information and to register and apply please click here
Sign up to receive regular highlights from the exciting world of fencing - celebrating the best of our unique and inspiring community