The GBR Chef de Mission (CdM) provides essential leadership and support to the GBR Team (athletes and staff) at identified major championship event/s including the following key areas:
- Management and oversight of pre-championship arrangements
- Leadership and operational management of the team during competition
- Overall responsibility for the Team’s welfare and reputation as an FIE affiliated NGB
British Fencing (BF) will appoint a CdM to support the GBR team competing at an identified major championship i.e. Cadet, Junior and Senior European and World Championships. The role will work closely with the BF GBR Management Group and Athlete Development Pathway Team (ADPT) to provide strong leadership, consistent shared culture and to uphold the BF Values in order to increase GBR success.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The role is responsible for the GBR Team ‘in competition’, providing strong team leadership and to represent BF in all interactions with the FIE or other governing organiser. Leading a team of athletes, coaches and support staff for the duration of the competition and in the preparations leading up to the event.
- Be the ‘Head of Delegation’ in absence of the BF CEO or President
- Provide leadership and clarity of purpose to the team
- Providing a consistent leadership message that supports the BF Values of Honesty, Respect, Excellence, Accountability and Teamwork and is aligned with the overall GBR Athlete Pathway strategy.[MM1]
Athlete Communication and Welfare
- Be responsible for ensuring that competition information is communicated and published on the BF website (BF HQ to support this process and actual uploads etc.)
- Act as a point of contact for athletes and coaches answering any enquiries regarding the Championships.
- Ensure that all appropriate policies are adhered to and that safety and welfare of the team is of the highest priority
Pre-championships logistics (working with a non travelling Team Manager)
- Oversee and approve the logistics for the Championships
- Support the visa application process if required (eg sometimes letters are required to support applications and information is required in advance from athletes to get those letters)
- Ensure all entries are confirmed and entry fee is paid (either in advance or in cash on registration)
- Consult with the Athlete Panels as appropriate on logistical decisions (eg choice of Hotel for Senior Euros and Worlds)
- Be responsible for the GBR team – please refer to the CdM Guide for detail of responsibilities.
- Attend any meetings as required to fulfil the role (in person or by conference call/Skype etc.)
- Write a report (in conjunction with any Team Managers) for the BF Exec and Board on the event.
- Experience as a GBR Team Manager (L3), Lead Coach or similar role at international level
- Excellent understanding of international fencing environment and organisations (EFC & FIE etc.)
- Willing to comply with British Fencing Policies and Code of Conduct & Ethics – team officials and volunteers