EFC & FIE EQUIPMENT RULES
Last updated: 12.10.2022
For official FIE competitions and EFC Competitions (Championships and Circuit events):
- FIE 800 Newton (CEN level 2) jacket
- FIE 800 Newton (CEN level 2) breeches
- FIE 800 Newton plastron under your jacket
- An FIE CEN level 2 mask (i.e. with 1600 Newton bib), two approved systems of fastening, in good condition and fitting securely. On ‘contour’ masks a separate safety back strap is compulsory.
- At sabre, a FIE CEN level 2 glove.
- FIE-homologated Maraging steel blades must be used. In the case of sabre, blades stamped ‘M’ are permitted until September 2022, thereafter blades must carry the full FIE marking.
- At foil, chest guards (Men and Women) must be covered with an FIE approved soft layer (and be worn under your plastron)
- Bodywires with transparent connecting plugs (at both ends) are compulsory
For EFC Cadet Circuit events:
- the athlete name is not required on the back of the jacket.
- the national logos (GBR Patches) on the breeches are not required
EFC Cadet – here – item 11)
FIE Material Rules – here
FIE Publicity Code – here. Note that the rules recently changed. Other than National logos (the ‘GBR patch’) NO other publicity/sponsor patches can be located on the breeches.
- It is advisable to name all your equipment (including body wires).
- Check jackets, breeches and gloves to make sure there are no holes and that seams are in good condition. Gloves with holes repaired will fail weapon checks.
- For all FIE and EFC Major Championships, it is a requirement to have national logos on the legs. It is optional on the arms however if fencing in a team, all team members must be identical.
- It is important to ensure your socks stay up as you are fencing and cover your legs completely.
- Breeches must overlap jackets adequately.
- Long hair must be tied up – in foil and sabre in such a way that it does not cover the back of the lame.
- Ensure your kit is in full working order, with all weapons and body-wires tested for continuity, resistance, and weight. You must do this before leaving the UK as there may not be an armory service or an equipment stall at the event.
- There will be a weapon control. Different competitions check different items – so be prepared for everything to have to pass weapons control.
If you have any questions relating to this page, please submit them to us via the form here and a member of the ADP team will come back to you.