2019 Senior World Championships Part 2
15th – 23rd July 2019, Budapest, Hungary
Applicable Selection Policy: https://www.britishfencing.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/GBR-Senior-Selection-Policy-2018-2019-v2.0-Approved-09.10.2018.pdf
Further to the performances at the European Championships the following additions/updates are being made to the GB squad (original pre-Euros selection announcement here).
Kat Smith Taylor (Women’s Epee) made a L32 at the European Championships and therefore achieved the minimum qualification standard for the World Championships. and is confirmed as selected.
Kate Beardmore (Women’s Foil) and Ben Peggs (Men’s Foil Team) and JJ Webb (Men’s Sabre Team), previously selected as discretionary, now move to fully qualified status after they all achieved a L32 at the European Championships.
The selectors considered cases for discretionary selection for the team events. Considerations included the following factors:
- Team Performance at World Cups/European Championships including review of significant wins and scores in defeats against top performing nations this season.
- World Ranking (after Europeans) and recent trajectory.
- Evidence of commitment of all team members to training.
- Current fitness/injury status of all team members.
- International performance depth of team members (ie international performance of 3rd/4th.
- Team Culture: Behaviour, professional approach, team mentality and resultant impact on wider GB squad (athletes, officials etc).
As a result the Women’s Sabre team has been awarded a discretionary selection. Significant considerations included:
- At the recent European Championships, the team came within one hit of making the L8, with a 45-44 defeat to a very strong Poland team which eventually finished 5th, before beating Belarus 45-44 and losing out 45-44 to Turkey, finishing 10th.
- The team world ranking is currently 18 having climbed 13 places this season.
- Team members have demonstrated commitment to training making life choices to allow them to train at the level to support international performance improvements. For example, all team members arrived at the European Championships having undertaken training and preparation to maximise their opportunities.
- All members of the team demonstrated sufficient fitness levels and were injury free at and after the European Championships.
- All members of the squad have participated fully over the previous season in a programme of training and competition that included Senior or Junior World Cup level. All four members of the team have achieved a minimum performance level at these competitions.
- Outstanding professional behaviour and commitment from all the team at the recent European Championships both on and off the piste.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL ATHLETES COMPETING: Please click here to read instructions on how to accept selection and the terms and conditions of accepting your place.
Final Full Selection
Richard Kruse (Q)
James Davis (Q)
Marcus Mepstead (Q)
Ben Peggs (Q)
James Honeybone (Q)
JJ Webb (Q)
Kate Beardmore (Q)
Susan Sica (Q)
Katriona Smith-Taylor (Q)
Elliott Grover (Q)